Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake will make you want to skip straight to dessert. Satisfy your sweet tooth with tons of chocolate and caramel swirled in every single bite.
Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake Recipe:
I have a serious sweet tooth and this Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake does not disappoint. It is so easy to make and so moist and delicious. The drizzle on top is so decadent and caramel and chocolate fans will go crazy over this cake.
Poke cakes are so simple to make and you get so much flavor in each bite. This is definitely a favorite and you will love all the delicious chocolate and caramel.
Chocolate Cake with Caramel combines two of my favorite. This poke cake is perfect for any occasion and is made with simple ingredients. This cake is moist and full of caramel flavor.
What is a Poke Cake?
The cake is poked all over to allow the delicious filling to saturate the cake. The flavor gets in the cake for an amazing dessert.
The kids love to help with poking holes in the cake. Get them involved in making this festive cake.
Recipes vary but the filling can be a vanilla pudding mixture, fruit, sweetened condensed milk and more. We poked this cake with chocolate and caramel sauce to add so much flavor to the cake.
Ingredients for Chocolate Carmel cake:
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Ingredients needed to make cake from the cake mix (eggs, oil, water, etc.)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Caramel Topping
- Whipped Topping (COOL WHIP) thawed
- Chocolate Sauce (for topping)
- Chopped Chocolate (for topping)
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Bake Cake – Next, make the cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan according to package.
- Step 3 – Poke Holes in Cake – When the cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
- Step 4 – Pour Milk and Caramel Sauce – Pour the sweetened condensed milk and ¾ of the caramel sauce over the top of the cake. Allow it to seep into the holes that were poked into the cake.
- Step 5 – Cover and Chill – Cover and refrigerate the cake overnight. Spread whipped topping on top of the cake.
- Step 6 – Drizzle Sauce over the Top – Drizzle the top with the remaining caramel sauce and chocolate sauce. Then sprinkle with the chopped chocolate.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!
How to Decorate:
You can decorate this delicious salted caramel chocolate cake many different ways. After assemble the cake and the cake has cooled, top the cake with whipped topping.
Drizzle the cake with chocolate and caramel syrup and chocolate pieces. This gives the cake so much flavor and makes the cake so moist and decadent.
Can you Make this Poke Cake in advance?
The cake can be made in advance but I would wait to add the toppings until right before serving. Otherwise, it will be soggy.
While the cake will last up to 5 days in the fridge, it is best served initially within 24 hours. I would suggest not making this any sooner than a day ahead.
If you need to make this ahead of time, I suggest making the cake and storing in the fridge. Then you can proceed with poking the holes and making the layers for the cake.
This way it will not get too soggy since the only thing you are making in advance is the actual cake. Now, it won’t save as much time as making it entirely in advance but it will help.
How to Store:
This poke cake is best stored in the refrigerator. Make sure to cover the cake with plastic wrap tightly.
How to Freeze:
If you plan on freezing the cake, prepare cake as directed on the box instructions. Then freeze the cake in an air tight container. Once you are ready to serve the cake, then you can poke the cake and add the topping and caramel syrup.
Make sure the cake is thawed and at room temperature before topping the cake.
Poke Cake Tips and Tricks:
- Make ahead – I like to cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge so the flavors can blend. The cake is better the next day because all of the flavors really come together.
- Poking Holes – Make sure when poking the holes you are generous and don’t leave out any section of the cake. This is how the delicious mixtures gets into the cake.
- Fill the Holes – I like to push the mixture into the holes as I spread it around to make sure it is really sinking in. This gives the cake the best flavor.
- Poke Holes with handle of a Wooden Spoon – You can use anything you prefer to poke holes but a wooden spoon works great. This is the perfect size for making the holes in the cake.
Do I have to use a Cake Mix?
You do not have to use a cake mix. It definitely makes it easier and quicker though.
However, feel free to make your own cake. We have an easy chocolate cake recipe that is delicious. It would be great to use to make this poke cake.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can easily adapt it to your preference. Either option will be tasty.
Why is Poke Cake Soggy?
Make sure when storing it that the cake is covered tightly with plastic wrap. A poke cake will only last up to about 2 days before it gets soggy. It is a great cake to make ahead but it needs to be served fairly quickly.
- Change the Frosting – We used cool whipped cream but you can make your own whipping topping, sour cream frosting or use a buttercream frosting. You can also do a chocolate frosting mix with cocoa powder.
- Add the Sprinkles – You can easily add sprinkles or chocolate chips to the top of the cake. This adds texture and flavor to the cake.
- Change the Cake – We used a chocolate cake mix, but you can change it to another flavor. A vanilla or white cake mix to make this delicious desserts.
- Cake Pans – We used a 9×13 cake pan but you can change the cake pans to a round cake pan. This will allow you to have cake layers. You can even use 2 8×8 cake pans to make this cake.
Easy Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake:
This delicious chocolate poke is perfect for many different occasions. This cake is rich and decadent and easy to make. We love that it is made with easy ingredients and simple to prepare.
This cake combines two of my favorite flavors, chocolate and caramel. This cake is so moist and delicious that you will want to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Print Chocolate Caramel Cake Recipe:
Chocolate caramel poke cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Ingredients needed to make cake from the cake mix: eggs, oil, water, etc.
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Caramel Topping
- 8 oz whipped topping COOL WHIP thawed
- Chocolate Sauce for topping
- Chopped Chocolate for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan according to package.
- When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and ¾ of the caramel sauce over the top of the cake and allow it to seep into the holes that were poked into the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake overnight.
- Spread whipped topping on top of the cake.
- Drizzle the top with the remaining caramel sauce and chocolate sauce. Then sprinkle with the chopped chocolate.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Poke Cake Recipes:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Cherry Poke Cake Recipe
- Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake
- Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake