Enjoy everything you love about smores in this easy smores cake recipe. Luscious chocolate, gooey marshmallows and more combine for a dessert you can’t resist.
If you love smores, this cake is going to be a hit. From the moist cake to the fun toppings, this recipe does not disappoint. Everyone will love the graham crackers, chocolate and mini marshmallows on top.
Poke cakes are always delicious and this easy recipe for smores cake is a family favorite. From holidays to potlucks, this cake often makes an appearance.
The recipe is so simple and starts with a cake mix. However, by the time you are finished, no one will guess how it started. From the yummy filling to the decadent topping, each bite is simply the best.
- white cake mix. Plus, all of the ingredients to prepare as directed on the box.
- Regular marshmallows
- chocolate chips. You can use regular or mini chocolate chips.
- unsalted butter
- sweetened condensed milk. Make sure to get sweetened and not evaporated milk. The cans usually look the same and are located near each other.
- cream cheese. This needs to be softened at room temperature prior to using.
- Powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- heavy cream
- Toppings. This makes the cake look so pretty and tastes great too. We like to use graham crackers, milk chocolate and mini marshmallows.
You can use chocolate chips or pieces of a chocolate bar. Dark chocolate is also good or mix both together.
You can use a combination of graham cracker pieces and graham cracker crumbs. I think both look pretty and taste great.
How to make S’mores cake
- First, bake the cake according to the package instructions until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once the cake has finished baking, let it cool partially on a wire rack.
- Then, poke holes all over the cake. I normally use a wooden skewer or end of a wooden spoon. You want to make sure you poke holes all over the cake so the filling will be in each bite.
For this particular cake, the bigger the holes the better so the filling will really soak in.
- Next, melt the chocolate chips with the marshmallows and butter on the stovetop. It is best to use low heat and to stir continuously so the melted butter mixture does not burn.
- Once combined, add in ¾ cup of the condensed milk. Stir all of this together so it is combined really good.
- Now comes the fun part. Take that mixture and pour all over the top of the cake, Make sure to spread it around with a spoon and push the chocolate marshmallow mix into all of the holes.
This is the key to the cake being so moist and flavorful so you want it all over.
- Now make the next layer. Use a hand mixer to cream together the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder until it is really smooth.
- Then add in the remaining sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Mix together until it is smooth.
- Finally, spread the chocolate buttercream layer on top of the chocolate cake layers. This is going to be amazing.
- Place the cake in the fridge for at least an hour before you serve it.
- Right before you serve the cake, sprinkle the graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows on top of the cake. Don’t do this in advance or the graham cracker crumbs will get soggy. This is very important.
How to store:
Store the cake inside an airtight container with a lid. I like to use the cake pans that come with a lid for easy storage.
If you pan does not have a lid, you can use plastic wrap. Just make sure to seal it tightly. You might even want to cover it with foil on top of the plastic wrap layer.
This cake can be really ooey gooey with all of the delicious toppings.The marshmallow and chocolate can be sticky.
For this reason, you might consider using a disposable pan to make clean up a breeze. I like using these anyway if I am taking to potlucks or to someone’s home.
Can you make this in advance?
The cake can be made in advance but I would wait to add the toppings until right before serving. Otherwise, it will be soggy and not crunchy.
While the cake will last up to 5 days in the fridge, it is best served initially within 24 hours. I would suggest not making this any sooner than a day ahead.
If you need to make this ahead of time, I suggest making the cake and storing in the fridge. Then you can proceed with poking the holes and making the layers for the cake.
This way it will not get too soggy since the only thing you are making in advance is the actual cake. Now, it won’t save as much time as making it entirely in advance but it will help.
Poke cakes are so moisture rich that you just have to be careful because you don’t want them too soggy. The longer they sit in the fridge, the more moist they get.
- You can also broil the top of the cake after you put on the marshmallows. This will give it that fresh roasted marshmallow taste. I think the toasted marshmallow topping looks so pretty.
Just be very careful when doing so because it does not take long. Keep a very close eye on it while broiling and do not walk away to do something else or you risk burning it.
Another option is to use a kitchen torch if you have one. This will also broil the marshmallows nicely.
- We used mini marshmallows on top but you can use the regular size if you prefer. I just think the smaller ones are easier to bite so I always use those.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce on top of the cake for even more chocolate flavor.
- Use chocolate cake to make this even more decadent. Chocolate fans will love this option. However, it will be super rich.
- If you are making this around the holidays or for special occasions, try using seasonal marshmallows. I think it would be pretty to top with heart shaped marshmallows for Valentine’s Day,
Christmas shapes for Christmas and more. You can also use some of the flavored marshmallows. I normally spot peppermint flavored mini marshmallows around the holidays. However, I would not broil the shaped seasonal marshmallows.
Just get creative and use what you love. There isn’t any wrong way to make this.
As you can see the ideas are endless for this delicious poke cake.
Everyone will love smores cake.
It is so delicious and we love all the flavors of traditional smores. With this recipe, you can enjoy smores any time of the year.
We love it so much that we make it frequently around here. The entire family loves it.
Plus, it is so easy and inexpensive to make. Poke cakes really are the best.
This recipe is fabulous. Let us know how it turns out for you. I think you will be hooked once you try it.
Print this smores cake recipe below:
Smores Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix prepared as directed on the box
- 14 regular marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz, divided
- 2 pkg cream cheese (8 oz.) softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Toppings: graham crackers chocolate and marshmallows
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
- Poke holes with a wooden skewer or end of a wooden spoon. For this cake, the bigger the holes the better.
- Melt chocolate chips together with marshmallows, and tablespoon of butter on the stovetop over low heat, stirring continuously.
- Stir in ¾ cup of condensed milk.
- Pour over the top of the cake, spreading around with a spoon to push the chocolate marshmallow mix into the holes.
- For the next layer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in remaining sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Mix together.
- Spread the chocolate cheesecake layer of the chocolate marshmallow layer.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Decorate with graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe