Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake has everything you love about your favorite cookie in a delicious cake loaded with chocolate chips. This is perfect for birthdays, pot lucks and more if you need an easy dessert everyone will enjoy.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
This is one of those recipes that combines the best of both worlds. If you love chocolate chip cookies and cake, this recipe is a must try.
The brown sugar blends with the chocolate to make such an amazing cake that is sure to be a hit. Cut them into bars and they are perfect for parties, snacks and more.
They are like chocolate chip cookies but with a cake consistency. You will love these!
This is what kitchen equipment you’ll need to make this soft and chewy cookie cake recipe.
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden and Plastic Spoon
- A 9×13 baking dish
How do you keep a cookie cake moist?
Keep the cookie cakes stored in a ziplock bag or airtight container at room temperature once you cut them into bars. This should help the cookie bars to stay moist and not become hard.
Another trick is to place a slice of bread in the same container as the cookies to help keep them moist. The cookies will soak up the moist from the bread and will keep them moist while stored.
- unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate)
This all comes together for a rich and decadent dessert that your family and friends will go crazy over. It is so good and very simple to make.
- For the Brown Sugar – You can use white sugar is you don’t have any brown sugar on hand. You will want to use the same about but the cookie bars will have a slightly different texture and not be as moist.
- For the Baking Powder – You can also use a combination of baking soda and cream of tartar in this recipe. You would want to use 1 part baking soda and 2 parts cream of tartar.
- For the Chocolate Chips – I like to use milk chocolate chips but you can easily use your favorite type. Semi-sweet, dark or white chocolate would all be delicious in this recipe.
How do you make a chocolate chip cookie cake:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease 13×9 pan by spraying it with a non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix softened butter and brown sugar together by hand until creamy.
Stir in vanilla extract.
In a small mixing bowl, stir flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
Slowly add flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture. The mixture will be thick.
Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
Dump the mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly around the pan with the back of your mixing spoon.
It is a really thick batter but this is normal and the way it is supposed to be. You will need the press the cookie dough down into the pan.
How do I know if my cookie cake is done?
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is a beautiful golden brown. Be careful not to overcook. The outside edge of the cake will be slightly more brown than the center of the cake.
Let the cake cool completely. The cut the cake into chocolate chip cookie bars and enjoy!
We have served this at a party and cut small squares perfect for little kids. However, we have also cut them into larger squares for other occasions. Just do what works best for you.
It is that simple to make chocolate chip cookie cake. You might even want to double the recipe because it is so amazing!
Hosting a party or taking this recipe to a cook out or pot luck? I would definitely consider doubling the recipe because it is that spectacular.
I actually make 2 of these if I take it somewhere so that we can keep one at home as well. It really is that good.
- Make sure to measure the flour correctly. Fluff the flour, then fill your measuring cup with the flour and use a knife to level off the top.
- It’s best to mix the batter by hand for this recipe so that the cookie cake is not flat.
- Do not over cook. The outside of the cake will be slightly brown and the center will be set.
- If you prefer gooey cookies, under bake the cake by a few minutes to make the bars extra gooey.
- You can line the baking dish with parchment paper or foil for easy removal of the cookie bars.
Can you make this recipe in a circle pan?
Yes, this cake can be made in a 9 inch circle pan instead of a 9X13 pan. Press the cookie dough into the circle.
Then bake it for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
Can you make chocolate chip cookie bars with cake mix?
Yes, this recipe can be made with a cake mix. Mix a yellow cake mix with the butter, eggs and chocolate chips from this recipe.
Press this mixture into a pan and bake for the same bake time listed in the recipe to make easy cake mix cookie bars.
The best part about this easy cookie cake recipe is that you can top it with your favorite toppings to make it your own. Here are a few of our favorite ideas.
- Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel Sauce
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Make an super easy glaze with powdered sugar and milk
- Add nuts to the chocolate chip mixture before baking. Pecans or walnuts taste amazing.
- Try using other types of morsels like white chocolate, peanut butter or a mix of several!
- Decorate the cake with icing and sprinkles for special occasions or a birthday cake. We love this and it is one of our favorite treats.
The ideas are endless for this delicious cake recipe. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out.
How to Store:
Store the leftovers in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can eat the leftovers at room temperature or heat them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds if you prefer the bars to be slightly warm.
Can you freeze?
Just like cookies, this cookie cake freezes great. Cut the cake into bars, place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3-6 months.
Let the cookie bars defrost at room temperature and then they are ready to enjoy.
Give this easy chocolate chip cookie cake a try!
From birthday parties to family celebrations or just because, this chocolate chip cookie cake is sure to be the star of the show. Each bite is oozing with gooey chocolate chips and the best cake mixture.
Serve it plain or add a few extras if you like. However, you decide to enjoy this cake, it is fabulous.
Print this cake recipe below:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease 13×9 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix softened butter and brown sugar together by hand until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture. It will get thick!
- Finally, add chocolate chips and pecans (if using).
- Dump into prepared pan. Spread evenly around the pan with the back of your mixing spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is a beautiful golden brown. Be careful not to overcook.
- Let cool slightly. Cut. Serve. Enjoy!!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More chocolate chip desserts:
- Cookie Dough Dip Recipe
- Crock Pot Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frozen Yogurt Recipe