This Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe starts with a cake mix and tastes amazing. Each bite is loaded with dark chocolate and topped with crushed candy canes for a delicious cookie.
We love to make these cookies for a crowd or party. You can make a ton with very little time or expense for an easy Christmas dessert. It is a winner for sure and perfect for busy moms.
Table of Contents
Why we Love Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies:
- Chocolate and Peppermint – The combination of chocolate peppermint go perfectly together for Christmas cookies.
- Easy to Make – Starting with a chocolate cake mix makes this cookies so easy to make. They are easy to mix and it takes less than 10 minutes for the cookies to bake.
- Simple Ingredients – We love holiday baking and making desserts that do not require a lot of ingredients. This means that they are budget friendly and that is my favorite part.
- Chewy Texture – After baking the peppermint cookies, they come out with a chewy texture and crispy edges.
Ingredients You Need:
- Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Eggs – room temperature
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Peppermint Extract
- Crushed Candy Canes or Peppermint Candies
Get the complete ingredient list at the bottom of the post.
- White Chocolate Chips – Instead of chocolate chips, stir in white chocolate chips to change the flavor and look of the cookie.
- Peppermints – You can crushed peppermint candy instead of candy canes for this recipe.
- Make Cookie Dough – If you prefer you can make homemade chocolate cookies. We used a cake mix because we like to keep things easy. But use what you prefer.
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies:
- Step 1. Preheat oven – First, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2. Combine the cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs and peppermint extract together in a large mixing bowl. You can also use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. The batter will be thick but that is normal. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3. Form the dough into balls. I like to use a cookie scoop. Make sure to leave about 2 inches between the cookie dough balls.
Step 4. Bake the cookies until the cookies start to brown slightly on the edges.
Step 5. Once the cookies come out of the oven, top with Crushed Candy Canes. I suggest doing it while they are soft. Press them down slightly into the cookies so they adhere. Allow to cool on a cooling rack and enjoy.
- Chill the Dough – Making the chocolate cookies from scratch, make sure you allow the dough to chill before baking.
- Crushed Peppermint – If you prefer, you can roll your cookie dough in crushed peppermint for more flavor.
- Prepare baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper or a silicone liner.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you prefer you can make home double chocolate chip cookies instead of using a cake mix. These cookies can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. We used peppermint flavor extract instead of vanilla.
If we make this recipe from scratch, we like to use this Chocolate Kiss Cookie Recipe. This recipe will give you how much you need for butter and sugar. Also for the all purpose flour, cocoa powder baking soda, and salt.
The dry ingredients are combined with the flour mixture in a large bowl to make the best chocolate cookies from scratch.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container. If stored properly, these cookies will last about a week. These cookies store so well. They would be perfect to give out as gifts or to be added to a cookie tray.
Yes, you can also easily freeze these cookies. Place them in a freezer bag or freezer container for up to 2-3 months. Let the cookies defrost at room temperature and then they are ready to enjoy.
More easy peppermint desserts:
- Peppermint Bark
- White Chocolate Peppermint Brownies Recipe
- 20 Easy Peppermint Desserts Recipes
- Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe
Check out these easy cookie recipes:
Try this yummy chocolate mint cookie recipe today. Then leave a comment and star recipe rating.
Chocolate peppermint cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs and peppermint extract together in a mixing bowl. The batter will be thick so mix by hand.
- Then fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Spoon onto baking sheets leaving approximately 2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookies start to brown slightly on the edges.
- When you pull them out of the oven. Sprinkle the crushed up candy canes on the cookies while they are soft and press them down slightly into the cookies so that they stay.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets and then move them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Enjoy and store in an air tight container.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe