Peppermint Ice Cream is a decadent mixture of creamy ice cream and crushed peppermint candy. This no churn recipe makes it easy to make homemade ice cream.
Homemade peppermint ice cream recipe
Get ready to make the creamiest most delicious peppermint ice cream recipe. With only 5 simple ingredients, it is quick and easy. You do not need an ice cream maker for this effortless recipe.
What is in peppermint ice cream?
This recipe starts with a simple ice cream base of heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk and mint extract. Once combined, the base is flavored with crushed peppermint candy.
We added a little bit of food coloring but it is optional. It does not impact the taste but does add that pretty pink color.
Is peppermint ice cream seasonal?
Peppermint flavor is a seasonal flavor. You typically only see this around Christmas.
While it is perfect for the holidays, it is delicious to enjoy year round. Since you won’t find this in grocery stores all year, make this homemade recipe instead.
If you are sad when you can’t find peppermint ice cream for sale, make it at home. You don’t have to use candy canes but can use peppermint candy.
It is easy to enjoy this anytime the craving hits with this homemade recipe. We think it tastes better than store bought as well.
- heavy whipping cream
- sweetened condensed milk. This ingredient gives the ice cream its sweet flavor.
- mint extract
- Peppermint Candy, crushed
- Pink or red food coloring
How to make peppermint ice cream:
- Whip the heavy cream. Use a medium sized bowl with a hand held or stand up mixer until stiff peaks are formed. Do not overmix the cream.
- Get out a separate bowl. Stir together the sweetened condensed milk with the mint extract.
- Combine the cream and sweetened condensed milk. Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture and add in the food coloring. Stir until combined and the mixture is the color that you prefer.
- Crush the peppermint candy. Add in the crushed peppermint candy (reserve some for topping) and gently fold again until the candy is evenly distributed throughout the ice cream mixture.
- Put the mixture into a pan. Pour the ice cream mixture into a 9×11 loaf pan. Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy on top of the ice cream mixture in the loaf pan.
- Place in the freezer. Allow the ice cream to set in the freezer for 4-6 hours before serving.
- Serve and enjoy. Then the ice cream is ready to serve and enjoy!
How long will homemade ice cream last in the freezer?
Typically, homemade ice cream lasts about 2 weeks for the best texture.
It will last longer than that but ice crystals can start to form and the texture isn’t as creamy. The ice cream will get a bit grainy.
To ensure freshness, make sure it is stored in a sealed container or cover tightly with plastic wrap.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a food processor to make the crushed candy canes. If you do not have one, place the candy in a ziplock bag, seal and crush with the back of a spoon.
- Do not overmix the heavy cream. Once you see soft peaks start to form, you can stop mixing.
- You can use peppermint extract as a substitute for mint extract.
- Do not substitute the heavy cream for half and half. It will not result in the same texture. The ice cream base needs the heavy cream for volume and the fat content.
- Chocolate fans might like to add a ½ cup of mini chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture. The combination of peppermint and chocolate is delicious.
- The food coloring is optional. You can omit this but you will not have the pink color. It will still taste the same though.
- Add 12 crushed Oreo Cookies to the ice cream mixture. It is similar to cookies and cream ice cream but with peppermint flavor. It is amazing.
How to serve:
- Scoop the ice cream into bowls and top with more crushed peppermint.
- Garnish with peppermint sticks to make peppermint stick ice cream.
- It is delicious in a waffle cone. This is always a kid favorite.
- If you prefer more of a soft serve ice cream, allow it to sit a few minutes out of the freezer.
- Serve on top of a chocolate brownie. This is an amazing flavor combination and so delicious. You can also heat the brownie up and the ice cream melts into it.
- Make and ice cream sundae with this ice cream. Top with chocolate syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Turn this into a milkshake. If you love milkshakes, this ice cream makes a delicious Peppermint Milk Shake everyone will enjoy.
Enjoy this easy ice cream.
Now, you can enjoy peppermint ice cream year round. We love this amazing flavor all year long and not just around the holidays.
It is so easy to make with minimum ingredients and time. There is very little prep work making this quick and easy.
Anyone can enjoy this fabulous ice cream at home. Give it a try today. It is so easy.
Print this Peppermint Ice Cream recipe below:
Peppermint Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 1/2 cup Peppermint Candy crushed
- 1/2 tsp pink or red food coloring
- Whip the heavy cream in a medium sized bowl with a hand held or stand up mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk with the mint extract. Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture and add in the food coloring.
- Stir until combined and the mixture is the color that you prefer. Add in the crushed peppermint candy (reserve some for topping) and gently fold again until the candy is evenly distributed throughout the ice cream mixture.
- Pour the ice cream mix into a 9×11 loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining crushed candy on top of the ice cream mixture in the loaf pan.
- Allow the ice cream to set in the freezer for 4-6 hours before serving. Then the ice cream is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More homemade ice cream recipes:
- Churro Ice Cream Recipe
- Dulce de leche ice cream
- Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Recipe
- Homemade S’mores Ice cream recipe