Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies with cream cheese frosting result in a delicious treat. These cookies are festive and simple to make.
This recipe for homemade sugar cookie dough is actually very simple. We have easy to follow step by step instructions. The icing is so decadent and looks gorgeous.
While the results look bakery quality, the process is simple to make Christmas Tree Cookies. Everyone will love these delicious little Christmas trees.
Table of Contents
Why we love these cookies:
- They are so pretty. The festive Christmas tree shapes are so much fun.
- Simple instructions. It’s so easy with step-by-step instructions.
- Soft and delicious. The cookies taste amazing!
FOR THE COOKIES:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking powder
- unsalted butter, softened
- Granulated sugar
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Sprinkles (for decorating)
Skip to the bottom for the complete ingredient list and recipe instructions.
- Royal Icing. You can substitute royal icing for the cream cheese frosting if you prefer.
- Frosting. Sugar cookies pair nicely with just about any type of frosting. You can use chocolate or anything you like.
- Store bought dough. If you don’t want to make homemade sugar cookie dough, you can buy some at the grocery store. Roll it out and cut into trees as directed.
- Sprinkles. Feel free to use any color or types of sprinkles you prefer.
- Icing. While green is traditional, you can design the Christmas trees to match any theme.
- Lemon Extract. Add lemon extract to the cookies for a burst of citrus flavor.
How to make Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies:
- Preheat the oven. It should be set to 350 degrees F.
Step 1. Combine the dry ingredients using a medium size mixing bowl.
Step 2. Get out a separate bowl and beat together the butter with the sugar. I used a stand mixer. Add in the eggs one at a time until combined. Add in the vanilla extract. Then combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients.
Step 3. After you divide and roll out the dough, cut into shapes with tree shaped cookie cutters. Place on the baking sheet.
Step 4. Bake until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Then allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Step 5. While the cookies cool, make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until the mixture is smooth.
Step 6. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all the ingredients are combined. Then increase the speed and beat until the frosting is smooth.
Step 7. Add the green gel food coloring until it is the shade you prefer.
Step 8. Put the frosting in a piping bag fitted with either a star piping tip, ribbon tip or leaf/petal tip. Decorate each of the tree cookies with the green frosting and top with the sprinkles to resemble ornaments on the trees.
Sugar cookie tips
- Room temperature Ingredients. Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before preparing the cookies. It’s a good idea to allow the ingredients to sit on the counter for 30 minutes prior to using.
- Don’t overmix. Be careful not to over mix the cookie dough as this could cause tough and dense cookies. You want the cookies to be light and fluffy. Just mix until everything is just combined.
- Pure Vanilla Extract. Try to use pure vanilla extract if possible. Using good quality ingredients will ensure the final product is amazing.
How to store:
If these cookies are topped with cream cheese frosting, store any leftover cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I also like to place wax paper in between the layers of cookies. This helps to prevent sticking. It also helps to ensure the cookies stay in place and still look nice.
Just make sure they have completely set and dried before storing.
More Christmas cookie recipe:
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Christmas Cowboy Cookies
- Christmas Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Easy Grinch Cookies Recipe
- Eggnog Cookies
It’s your turn to make these delightful Sugar Cookies Christmas Trees. Then please come back and leave a star recipe rating.
Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
FOR THE COOKIES:
FOR THE COOKIES:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter with the sugar until creamy and light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time until combined. Then add in the vanilla extract. Continue mixing.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide the cookie dough into 2-3 balls.
- Roll out each of the dough balls onto a lightly floured surface until the dough is approximately ¼ inch thick. Then use a Christmas tree cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Continue this process until all the dough is formed into the cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges (just a slight change of color).
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then carefully move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
FOR THE FROSTING:
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese and butter until the mixture is well combined and smooth. Then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until all the ingredients are combined.
- Then increase the speed and beat until the frosting is smoothed. Add in the green gel food coloring and mix until the frosting is the color of green that you prefer.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with either a star tip, ribbon tip or leaf/petal tip.
- Decorate each of the tree cookies with the green frosting and top with the sprinkles to resemble ornaments on the trees.
- Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe