Homemade oreos are so rich and loaded with a decadent cream filling. It is so easy to make your favorite cookie at home.
If you like Oreo cookies as much as we do, you are going to want to make this recipe. In fact, it is so delicious, you might want to make it now. The cookies are layered with cream filling and the entire thing is perfect with a glass of milk.
Anyone can make these and you don’t need any special ingredients or supplies. They are so simple to make at home and taste amazing.
Give them a try. Just be prepared to want to eat several. They are so good.
What is the Oreo filling made out of?
The filling is a simple but delicious blend of powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. These 3 simple ingredients come together for the best filling. It is so creamy and perfect with the chocolate cookies.
FOR THE COOKIES:
- All Purpose Flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- large Egg, Room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
FOR THE CREAM FILLING:
- Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
How to make homemade oreos:
- You will need a large bowl. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Combine this together.
- Next, get out a separate bowl and add the butter. Beat the butter for about 1 minute with either a hand held mixer or a stand mixer.
Scrape down the sides and add in the sugar. Then beat this until thoroughly combined. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Using low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a dough forms. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is warming up, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. This will make cleanup easier.
- Roll the dough into small balls. They should be about 2 teaspoons of the dough and place them on the baking sheets. Then press the balls down to flatten the cookies.
- Finally, bake for 6 to 9 minutes until the edges get crispy and the middle is cooked through.
- The cookies need to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then you can transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to make oreo filling:
- We are going to make the cream filling while the cookies are cooling.
- Use a large mixing bowl and beat the butter for filling with a stand mixer or hand held mixer until it is creamy.
- Then turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. After you have added all the sugar, turn the mixer to high and beat for 1 minute until the filling is creamy and well combined. The filling will be thick but this is normal.
- Finally, spread the cream filling on half of the cooled cookies. Top with the remaining cookies and enjoy. They are so delicious.
How to store homemade Oreos:
Place the cookies inside an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature up to a week.
I doubt they last that long though. They are so delicious that everyone will eat these fast.
- Mint filling. If you love mint, make the filling with mint flavor. Just add ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract. You can also use food coloring to make it green if desired but it is optional.
- Dipped Oreo cookies. Dip the cookies in chocolate entirely or just half the cookie. Either way, it will be yummy.
- Marshmallow fluff. While it will not taste as much like a classic Oreo, it is a yummy filling.
- Lemon filling. Add lemon extract and yellow food coloring to the filling.
- Dye the cream filling. You can coordinate these cookies for any party, baby shower or even Game day. Just add the food coloring of your choice to the filling until it is the shade you desire.
- Peanut butter frosting. Make this easy frosting to use as the filling. Peanut butter fans will go crazy over this.
Tips for homemade oreo recipe:
- Use room temperature butter. It will help make the cookies fluffy. Just make sure it is not too soft or the cookies will spread too much while baking. You definitely don’t want to use melted butter.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Clean up is quick and easy if you use one of these.
- The cookies need to completely cool. Don’t try to add the filling when they are still warm.
- You can use plastic wrap to wrap the dough if you need to refrigerate it before making the balls. Just put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
Can you freeze cookie dough?
Yes, it is a great way to save time if you need to make these in advance. Make the dough as normal and shape into balls.
Instead of baking, place the baking sheet of cookie balls into the freezer. This will prevent them from sticking to each other. Once they are solid, put them inside a freezer bag or container.
The frozen cookie dough balls will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to bake, you do not have to thaw. Just place on prepared cookie sheet and bake as normal.
You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly if frozen by adding 2 to 3 minutes.
Best Homemade Oreo Recipe
Make these today for a tasty treat. It is very simple to make Oreo cookies at home and the results are yummy.
I think you will really love these decadent cookies. From special occasions to afternoon snacks, these cookies are the best.
Leave a comment and let us know if you try any variations.
Homemade Oreo Cookies
- FOR THE COOKIES:
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted Butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- FOR THE CREAM FILLING:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter softened at room temperature
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Then in a separate bowl, beat the butter for approximately 1 minute with either a hand held mixer or a stand up mixer. Then scrape down the sides, add in the sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Then add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Next turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients (flour mixture) into the wet ingredients (butter mixture) until a dough is formed. Then chill the dough in your refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- The roll the dough into small balls made of approximately 2 tsp of the dough and place them on the baking sheets. Press down on the balls to flatten the cookies out. Then bake for 6-9 minutes until crisp around the edges and cooked through in the middle.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for approximately 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, it’s time to make the cream filling.
- Beat the butter for the cream filling in a large bowl with a stand up mixer or hand held mixer until creamy. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Once all the sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for 1 minute until creamy and combined. *Note: the cream filling will be thick.
- Spread the cream filling onto half of the cooled cookies and top with the remaining cookies.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe