No churn Puppy Chow Ice Cream recipe has decadent swirls of peanut butter and lots of puppy chow mixed in. Anyone that loves puppy chow needs to try this tasty ice cream.
What is puppy chow ice cream?
It is a delicious blend of ice cream with all the flavors of puppy chow mixed in. There is lots of peanut butter, Chex cereal coated in powdered sugar and chocolate chips.
Each bite of Muddy Buddies ice cream is a rich and creamy treat everyone will enjoy. The chocolate and peanut butter flavor combine for the perfect ice cream treat.
We love Puppy Chow snack mix and make it frequently.
Why we love Puppy Chow Ice Cream Recipe:
- No Churn. You do not need any fancy gadgets or ice cream machines to make this homemade treat.
- Chocolate and Peanut. This combination is heavenly.
- Simple ingredients. The entire recipe comes together fast with very little prep work.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Chex cereal
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to make puppy chow ice cream
- Melt the chocolate. Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a small microwave safe bowl bowl. Microwave the ingredients on 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Add the chex cereal. Fold in the cereal until it is evenly coated in the cereal.
- Coat in powdered sugar. Toss the chocolate coated cereal in the powdered sugar until the cereal is evenly coated in powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Get out a separate large bowl. In a large mixing bowl, whip the cocoa powder and heavy cream until stiff peaks begin to form in the cream.
- Gently fold the remaining ingredients. Fold in the sweetened condensed milk and muddy buddy cereal until the condensed milk is homogenous with the whipped cream.
- Freeze the mixture. Pour the ice cream mixture into a 9×5 inch loaf pan and allow the ice cream to chill in the freezer for 5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy. This recipe is fabulous. It is tasty in a waffle cone or serve in a bowl.
You can add toppings if you prefer. I like to add crushed puppy chow to each serving. Sometimes, I also add whipped cream. However, it is amazing served alone.
How long will it last?
You can store this recipe in the freezer for about two months covered in plastic wrap. You can also transfer it to an airtight container.
However, I suggest eating this within 2 weeks for the best flavor. We love this recipe so much and it rarely last that long.
Our family eats this pretty fast.
Muddy buddy ice cream tips
- Creamy Peanut Butter. I found that smooth peanut butter worked much better than crunchy peanut butter when making the muddy buddy mix. It combines much better.
- Whipping Cream. Make sure this is well chilled before using. It will help the ice cream mixture to freeze faster.
- Make in advance. Feel free to make the Muddy Buddies in advance. Store inside an airtight container and then use when ready to make the ice cream.
- Chill the bowl and beaters. Place the mixing bowl and beaters of the hand mixer in the fridge or freezer to chill before using. The ice cream mixture will freeze faster.
- Gluten free. Chex Cereal in corn or rice varieties are gluten free. However, the pre-made bags of Muddy Buddies usually contains wheat ingredients. If you have dietary restrictions, make sure to look at the labels.
Substitutions and Additions
- Chex Mix. You can use any variation of Chex cereal in this recipe. I Have used rice or corn Chex and both worked great.
- Store bought Muddy Buddies. You can purchase a bag of this snack mix already made at the grocery store if you need to save time.
- Funfetti Puppy Chow. Substitute this for regular puppy chow for a fun twist.
- Lemon Puppy Chow. Lemon fans will like this lemon flavored substitution.
This is such a fun and tasty recipe.
You will love getting to enjoy the luscious flavors of puppy chow in this homemade treat. It is absolutely amazing and each bite is so rich and decadent.
This recipe is loaded with the best ingredients. Give it a try and see how easy it is to make ice cream at home. Everyone will enjoy this recipe.
Anyone can make this because the ingredients are simple and no fancy equipment needed. It is a no brainer and definitely will be a popular treat.
Let us know what you think once you try it.
Print this Puppy chow ice cream recipe below:
Puppy Chow Ice Cream
- Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a small bowl. Microwave the ingredients on 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Fold in the cereal until it is evenly coated in the cereal.
- Toss the chocolate coated cereal in the powdered sugar until the cereal is evenly coated in powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the cocoa powder and heavy cream until stiff peaks begin to form in the cream.
- Fold in the sweetened condensed milk and muddy buddy cereal until the condensed milk is homogenous with the whipped cream.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a 9×5 inch loaf pan and allow the ice cream to chill in the freezer for 5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More homemade ice cream recipes:
- Caramel Pecan Praline Ice Cream recipe
- Dulce de leche ice cream
- Homemade S’mores Ice cream recipe
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Ice Cream Recipe