Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is a sweet and delicious classic cobbler recipe. The fruit filling is perfectly baked with cobbler topping and served with vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
The tartness from the rhubarb and the sweetness from the strawberries give this a unique flavor. It is a delightful blend of fruit and seasoning all tucked underneath a cobbler crust.
Anyone can easily make homemade cobbler with this easy dessert recipe. We love to make cobbler and recently made Peach Cobbler.
This delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is another family favorite. The tartness of the rhubarb paired with the sweetness of the strawberries is a delicious combination.
What does Rhubarb taste like?
It is very sour and the texture is crunchy when raw. As it bakes, it softens and the flavor becomes slightly less tart. The tartness is similar to a green apple.
This type of fruit is generally combined with other sweet fruits or sugary ingredients to balance the sour flavor. It is absolutely delicious with sweet strawberries and makes the best cobbler recipe.
- Chopped Rhubarb
- Fresh Strawberries, cleaned and diced
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon, juiced
For the Crust:
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Butter, melted and cooled
- Baking Powder
- Large Egg
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler:
- Step 1. Combine the filling. Mix the filling ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes to bring out the juices.
- Step 2. Preheat the oven and prepare the pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. This will make the cobbler easier to get out without sticking.
- Step 3. Combine the butter mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, milk and vanilla extract.
- Step 4. Add the dry ingredients. Then add in the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until the dry ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Step 5. Spread the filling into the baking dish. Pour the filling mixture into the 9X13 baking pan. Spread the batter over the top of the fruit into the baking pan.
- Step 6. Bake until golden brown. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and cooked through.
- Step 7. Let the cobbler sit for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm topped with ice cream or whipped topping. Enjoy!
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Heat individual servings in the microwave until warmed through.
You can reheat the entire pan in the oven if desired.
- Whipped Cream. Dollop whipped cream on each serving.
- Ice Cream. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Can you prepare Rhubarb strawberry cobbler recipe in advance?
Yes, this cobbler is an easy recipe to make ahead of time. You can prepare the dish as normal and allow to cool.
I like to use a disposable pan. Allow to cool and cover with aluminum foil. Freeze up to 2 months.
Reheat in the oven until warmed through at 350 degrees. It normally takes about 15 to 20 minutes. I suggest covering with foil when reheating.
Variations to try:
- Fresh or Frozen Fruit. This recipe is delicious with either option. If using frozen strawberries, drain any excess liquid so the cobbler isn’t soggy.
- Other types of fruit. This cobbler recipe makes a great base recipe for any type of fruit. Other ideas include blueberries, peaches or raspberries.
- Citrus. The flavors of citrus pairs well with rhubarb and strawberries. Try adding lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest or orange juice to the pie filling.
Tips and Tricks:
- Cover with foil if needed. Oven temperatures vary and you do not want the topping to get too brown. Occasionally check and make sure it is not getting too brown. If so, cover with foil so it can finish cooking.
- Large Baking Dish. We used a 9×13 size baking dish and it was perfect. Anything smaller will make the filling and topping run over.
- Don’t overmix the topping ingredients. Combine the ingredients until just combined and do not overmix.
Are Rhubarb Plants poisonous?
The stalks are perfectly safe to eat. However, the leaves are toxic. Do not eat the leaves. Make sure that you remove and discard the leaves right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a popular combination due to the amazing pairing of flavors. The tartness of the rhubarb with the sweetness of the strawberries results in the best flavor.
The addition of strawberries also helps to cut down on the amount of sugar that you need to add.
It is a type of Rhubarb that is sweeter than the traditional rhubarb variety. This is a delicious variety of rhubarb, but it does not taste like strawberries. It is just sweeter than the classic rhubarb.
It is a type of dessert with a fruit filling topped with a biscuit or cake style topping.
This tasty cobbler is the perfect recipe to try during strawberry season. I think you will love the flavor combination of rhubarb and strawberries.
If you love sweet and tart together, this is definitely the recipe to try. It is such a delicious combination and a great cobbler.
Don’t forget to top it with ice cream to take it to the next level. We absolutely love it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is so amazing!
Print this Recipe for Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler:
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
For the Filling:
- Mix the filling ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes to bring out the juices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, butter, milk and vanilla extract.
- Then add in the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until the dry ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the filling mixture into the 9X13 baking pan. Spread the batter over the top of the fruit into the baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and cooked through.
- Let the cobbler sit for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm topped with ice cream or whipped topping. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe