Christmas Sprinkle Cookies are perfect for the holiday season. With lots of colorful sprinkles adorning the soft and chewy cookies, it is a delicious treat.
This Christmas Cookie recipe is so easy and one of the easiest Christmas Desserts. You don’t even have to roll the dough out. It is so easy to combine everything and form the dough balls.
I have been making these for years with the kids every Christmas. They love to help roll the dough in sprinkles!
It’s so much fun. We also make Christmas Cowboy Cookies.
Table of Contents
Why you will love this recipe:
- Soft and Fluffy. The texture is soft and delicious for an indulgent treat.
- Pantry Ingredients. You will love that the recipe includes mostly kitchen staples you probably already have.
- Festive for the holiday season. This sugar cookie recipe is perfect for a cookie exchange. You might also want to make some of these Christmas Cookie Recipes with few ingredients .
- All Purpose Flour
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Butter (softened)
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Eggs
- Red, White and Green Round Sprinkles (nonpareils)
Find the complete ingredient list at the bottom in the recipe card.
Variations and Additions
- Extra Christmas sprinkles. If you love sprinkles, mix some into the dough. I recommend nonpareils or jimmies instead of sanding sugar so it does not bleed into the dough.
- Peppermint Extract. Add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to give this recipe a festive flavor.
- Change the sprinkles. You can substitute the sprinkles for any color. This makes it easy to adapt this recipe for any season, holiday or occasion.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar together and cream cheese with a hand mixer or stand mixer using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
Add in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Step 3. Reduce the mixer speed until low. Then gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 4. Refrigerate the dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
Step 5. Place the sprinkles in a shallow bowl.
Step 6. Scoop the cookie dough.
Step 7. Form the balls into approximately 1 tablespoon size balls.
Step 8. Roll the balls in the sprinkles until they are completely covered.
Step 9. Then place the sugar cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
Step 10. Bake for 9-12 minutes until the cookies are set but not browned.
Step 11. Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
Step 12. Move the cookies from the baking sheets to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve and enjoy.
Tips for Success
- Don’t scoop the flour. Instead, spoon the flour into the measuring cup. This will prevent too much flour being packed into the measuring cup.
- Room temperature Ingredients. Make sure the butter and cream cheese are softened at room temperature. This will help the ingredients combine easier.
- Don’t over mix the cookie dough. Combine the ingredients until just mixed together. Don’t overmix or the cookies will be harder and not as soft.
- Allow the cookies to set. Don’t move the cookies to a cooling rack right away. They need time to set or they will crumble.
- Don’t overbake the cookies. The center might look too soft but they will set as they cool.
- Chill the dough. It is important that you chill the dough before forming the dough balls. The softened cream cheese and butter make the dough soft.
- Line the baking pans. Prepare the baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. This will prevent the cookies from spreading too much and make clean up easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store the leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Keep a piece of bread in the container with the cookies to keep them soft.
Is best to use nonpareils to decorate the cookies. Sugar sprinkles will not have the same results. I used Red, White and Green Round Sprinkles .
Yes, this recipe for cookies freezes perfectly. Allow the cookies to cool and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 1 to 2 hours.
Then transfer the baked cookies to a freezer bag or container. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, allow to thaw in the fridge.
Try these easy Christmas Cookie Recipes:
- Christmas Cowboy Cookies
- Easy Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- The Best Christmas Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
It’s your turn to make these fabulous Christmas sugar cookies with sprinkles. Once you do, please leave a star rating and comment!
Christmas Sprinkle Cookies
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until light and fluffy (approximately 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed until low. Then gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the sprinkles in a shallow bowl. Spoon the dough into approximately 1 tablespoon size balls and roll the balls in the sprinkles until they are completely covered.
- Then place on a baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until the cookies are set but not browned. Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
- Move the cookies from the baking sheets to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe