I always say, the classic recipes are classic for a reason! This Easy Pound Cake Recipe is no different. My entire family loves it when I make this delicious cake and serve it with berries and whipped cream.
Why is a pound cake called a pound cake?
A traditional pound cake was named this based on the ingredients that were used to make it. The original pound cake recipe recipe was a 4 ingredient pound cake and it included a pound of each of these ingredients: flour, sugar, butter and eggs.
This is how the name “Pound Cake” was born.
However, over time, many bakers have changed this recipe for taste and preference. There are now all sorts of different pound cake recipes available. There are some that use sour cream, lemon pound cake recipes and cream cheese pound cake recipe.
I have tried them all and have found that this one is my all time favorite. In my recipe, I take the traditional pound cake recipe and add salt and vanilla extract to enhance the flavor.
It’s still an easy pound cake recipe with self rising flour but I think those 2 additional ingredients really make this recipe even better! I hope you enjoy it as well.
What is the best pound cake pan?
When I make this pound cake, I use a 10″ bundt pan. This pan is also called a 12 cup bundt pan as well. I love the way this cake recipe turns out in this pan. However, you can also use a 10″ tube pan and it works great as well!
Either of these pans work perfectly for this recipe, so use whichever one you have in your kitchen.
What is needed to make homemade pound cake?
You only need 6 ingredients to create this delicious pound cake and I bet you already have them in your kitchen!
- Unsalted Butter, Softened
- Granulated sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Whole eggs
- Large egg yolks
- Vanilla Extract
Have you ever made your own homemade Vanilla Extract?
Vanilla extract is needed for this recipe and I just recently started to make my own. I’m addicted! It’s so easy to make and really does add more flavor to my baking recipes.
I wrote an entire post on how to make your own vanilla extract here. It only takes 2 ingredients to create and I was able to make it in under 5 minutes. Also, I save a lot of money by making my own vanilla extract instead of using the store bought kind.
I hope you try it out and don’t forget to let me know what you think in the comments below!
How to make Pound Cake:
Now that you’re prepared with all the ingredients needed to make the best pound cake recipe, let’s continue to learn how to make pound cake from scratch.
First preheat your oven to 350F. Then generously grease and flour a 10″ bundt pan or tube pan. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
In the mixer, beat the butter until it is creamy and smooth. This generally takes approximately 1-2 minutes in my mixer to get to this consistency.
After the creaming of the butter, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the pound of sugar. Mix the butter and sugar together until they are well combined and light and fluffy which is generally another 2 minutes.
Next in a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine your eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt. Use a fork to lightly beat the eggs until the egg yolks are broken up and salt and vanilla are incorporated evenly.
With your mixer on low speed, slowly pour the egg mixture into your batter, allowing it to mix together gradually.
Once all of the egg mixture is incorporated, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
After this time, reduce the mixer speed back to low and gradually add the cake flour to the batter (this is the only dry ingredients needed for this recipe) until it all has been added. I usually add 1/2 cup at a time.
Then scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl again and stir again on medium speed until well-combined and beat for another minute.
Now your batter is prepared and ready to be baked. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan, use a spatula to smooth the surface of the batter so that it’s evenly in the pan of your choice.
How long does Easy Pound Cake Recipe take to bake?
Then bake 350 degrees for approximately 60-75 minutes (bake times will vary based on your oven or location) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the thickest part of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. After this time, run a knife around the sides of the bundt pan and the center to loosen the cake from the pan.
Next carefully invert pound cake onto a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely before serving. Slice and serve with your favorite toppings! Then sit back and watch everyone enjoy this traditional pound cake.
What toppings can you serve with this Moist Pound Cake Recipe?
My family loves enjoying this classic pound cake recipe with whipped cream and our favorite type of berries. The combination of these 2 ingredients on this cake is heavenly and perfect for any time of the year!
In the summer, I have also served ice cream over this cake and drizzled it with chocolate syrup. It was delicious as well. This cake is very versatile and there are a ton of ways to serve, so definitely don’t leave it out on your next dessert table!
Print this Easy Pound Cake Recipe below:
Learn how to make this easy pound cake recipe. How to make pound cake is easier than you think and everyone loves it. This is the best pound cake recipe!
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 3 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large whole eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 350F and generously grease and flour a 10" bundt pan. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Place your butter in a standing mixer. Beat the butter until it is creamy and smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the sugar. Beat until the ingredients are well combined and light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine your eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Use a fork to lightly beat the eggs until egg yolks are broken up and salt and vanilla are incorporated.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly pour egg mixture into your batter, allowing it to mix together slowly.
- Once all of the egg mixture is incorporated, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed back to low and gradually, about 1/2 cup at a time, add flour to the batter until all has been added to the mixer.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl and mix again on medium speed until well-combined for another minute.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan. Use a spatula to smooth the surface of the batter on the top of the pan.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes then run a knife around the sides of the bundt pan and the center.
- Carefully invert the pound cake onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Slice and serve!
Make this easy pound cake recipe today!
Now that you have learned how to make this traditional pound cake recipe, I hope you make it today. If you enjoy baking, I bet you already have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
This cake is delicious. Trust me on this one. Your family will enjoy it and will beg you to make another one soon!
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE WITH CAKE MIX is another delicious dessert to try that looks fancy but is so simple to make.
Try these other easy cake recipes:
- Oreo Dirt Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Lazy Day Cinnamon Bundt Cake Recipe
- The Easiest Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
- How to Make a Mug Cake from Scratch
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Icebox Cake Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Crock Pot Lava Cake Recipe
- Easy S’Mores Cake Recipe