From the oreo crust to the decadent chocolate cheesecake mousse, this Hot Chocolate Lasagna does not disappoint. The entire recipe is super easy but the results are amazing!
Hot Chocolate Lasagna Cake Recipe:
What’s not to love about layers of chocolate? This delicious dessert recipe for Hot Chocolate Lasagna is so rich and delicious for the best dessert. You will love it!
The chocolate crust is made from oreo cookies and makes it so tasty. Oh and that layer of chocolate mouse that is a tasty combination of chocolate and cheesecake…..delicious!
My family goes crazy over this and I have to make it every holiday. It really is special and I think you will agree. Hot Chocolate Lasagna is a must try no bake dessert.
What is Hot Chocolate Lasagna?
Hot Chocolate is Chocolate Lovers dream. This Hot Chocolate Dessert is like filling a chocolate mug with rich chocolate flavors of your favorite hot chocolate drink but in dessert way.
No Bake Chocolate Lasagna begins with an Oreo Crust then layered with a Cheesecake Mousse Layer, Chocolate Pudding Layer and then topped Marshmallows.
It is light, fluffy and creamy plus the different texture makes this cake a crowd pleaser.
Ingredients for hot chocolate lasagna:
There are 4 layers to this easy no bake dessert. You make each layer separately and layer them together in a casserole dish. Here are the ingredients that you’ll need for each layer.
For Oreo Crust:
- Butter – Unsalted butter, softened
Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse Layer:
- Butter – softened
- Cream Cheese – softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Instant Hot Cocoa – Make sure to use the one that requires milk to be mixed into it not water.
- Cool Whip
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate topping or Nutella for serving
How to Make Hot Chocolate Lasagna:
- Make the Oreo Cookie Crust – To make the crust, place whole Oreo cookies with the filling in a food processor and ground in fine crumbs. Stir in melted butter and press the mixture in the bottom of 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Firm the crust – Place in the fridge or freezer to firm while making next layer.
- Mix the cheesecake layer ingredients – Beat softened butter and cream cheese with vanilla and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Mix in instant milk chocolate powder in a large bowl.
- Add mixture over crust – Fold in the cool whip. Then, spread the cheesecake mixture over the crust and set in the fridge or freezer to firm.
- Prepare Pudding Layer – For pudding layer, in a bowl whisk instant chocolate pudding mix and milk until it starts thickening. Spread over hot chocolate mousse layer.
- Place in the fridge – or freezer to set.
- When pudding layer has set, spread the remaining cool whip on top of pudding layer and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Serve and Enjoy – Before serving, sprinkle 2 ¼ cups of mini marshmallows over the top. Serve drizzled with melted chocolate.
More Topping Ideas:
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Crushed Oreos
- Chocolate Shavings
- Chocolate Sprinkles
Can you use Whipped Cream instead of Cool Whip?
Yes, you can use homemade whipped cream instead of the cool whip in this recipe. Just make sure that you whip the cream until stiff peaks form and then mix it with the other ingredients.
Can you make Chocolate Lasagna without Cream Cheese?
The cream cheese is an essential ingredient in this recipe. It makes the cheesecake layer so I do not recommend making this recipe without cream cheese.
Tip for Crushing the Oreo Cookies:
I prefer the Oreos to be crushed into fine crumbs as they mix easier. However, if you don’t have a food processor, you can also crush Oreos in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin.
More Tips for this Recipe:
- Make sure to freeze each layer before adding the next to make perfect layers and not cause all the ingredients to mix together. This is the most important step so be patient with making this recipe.
- This recipe is very versatile so you can easily switch out items that you don’t like with other flavors.
- Use a plastic knife when cutting to make clean lines when serving. Make sure to clean the knife after each cut for clean slices.
- This recipe is best if refrigerated over night before serving. This lasagna is perfect to make the night before serving.
- Make sure that the pudding is mixed until it’s thick or it won’t set properly.
How to Fix Runny Pudding:
The quickest way to fix runny pudding is not mix in another packet of the dry ingredients. However, if you do not have another packet on hand then I recommend refrigerating it overnight to thicken the pudding.
Do not mix the pudding into the lasagna until it is thicken or it will ruin that layer.
- Mint Chocolate Lasagna – You can easily add a slight mint flavor to this recipe but using Mint Oreos for the crust into of regular Oreos.
- White Chocolate Lasagna – You can make a white chocolate lasagna instead of hot chocolate lasagna. Use a vanilla pudding mix and white chocolate cocoa mix instead of the chocolate ones.
- Reduce the Sugar Amount – You can easily make this lasagna lower sugar by using sugar free pudding mix, hot cocoa mix and cool whip.
- Use your Favorite Toppings – You can easily mix up this recipe by topping it with your favorite toppings. Whatever you like on hot cocoa, you’ll love on this chocolate lasagna recipe. I love topping mine with sprinkles, crushed up peppermints and caramel sauce.
How to Store:
This no bake lasagna will need to be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
You can let it sit at room temperature for around 15-20 minutes when serving but then refrigerate again after that time.
Can I Freeze Hot Chocolate?
Yes, you can cover and freeze this dessert for up to 2-3 months. I recommend not adding the marshmallows or chocolate syrup until you are ready to serve.
Defrost the lasagna out overnight in the refrigerator and then it’s ready to serve.
Print this delicious Hot Chocolate Lasagna recipe below:
Hot Chocolate Lasagna
- For Oreo Crust:
- 36 Oreo cookies-ground
- ½ cup unsalted butter-melted
- Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse Layer:
- ½ cup unsalted butter-softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 1/2 powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 0.73 oz envelops of instant hot cocoa mix (milk chocolate flavor)
- 1 1/4 cups cool whip
- Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- 2 3.8 oz. chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream or 2 ½ cups whipped cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Chocolate topping or Nutella for serving
- To make the crust place whole Oreo cookies with the filling in a food processor and ground in fine crumbs. Stir in melted butter and press the mixture in the bottom of 13 x 9 inches casserole dish. Place in the fridge or freezer to firm while making next layer.
- To make Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse Layer, beat softened butter and cream cheese with vanilla and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Mix in instant milk chocolate powder Fold in the cool whip. Then, spread over the crust and set in the fridge or freezer to firm.
- For pudding layer in a bowl whisk instant chocolate pudding mix and milk until it starts thickening. spread over hot chocolate mousse layer. Place in the fridge or freezer to set.
- When pudding layer has set, Spread cool whip on top of pudding layer and place in the fridge for a few hours or better overnight.
- Before serving sprinkle 2 cups of mini marshmallows over the top.
- Serve drizzled with melted chocolate
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy chocolate desserts:
- Chocolate Lasagna Recipe
- Easy S’mores Cake Recipe
- 4 Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Amazing Chocolate Brownie Cookies Recipe