Jazz up traditional rice krispie treats with this delicious recipe for Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats. This simple and easy recipe is packed with chocolate for a great snack or dessert in minutes.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats:
This recipe makes such a fun treat and the kids can help make this treat. If you love classic rice krispie treats, try this new recipe for chocolate rice krispie treats.
There is so much amazing chocolate flavor and the chocolate chips really make these decadent.
You only need a few ingredients and the recipe is super easy. These are great for lunchbox treats, after school snacks or move night. Make sure you check out all the Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats recipe is a chocolate lovers dream. Loaded with simple ingredients and perfect treat for any occasion.
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Unsalted Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Cocoa Powder
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats:
- Step 1 – Prepare Baking Dish – First, spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Melt butter over low heat – Next, melt the butter, marshmallows, chocolate chips and add the cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl. I microwaved it in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until it is thoroughly melted.
- Step 3 – Mix in Cereal – Gradually add in the rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely coated.
- Step 4 – Combine – Make sure to completely mix the cereal with the melted chocolate.
- Step 5 – Press into pan – Spread evenly in prepared pan. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Tips for Best Cocoa Krispie Treats:
- Melting Chocolate – We melted chocolate mixture in the microwave, but you can melt in a large saucepan. Once melted, remove from the heat then add in cereal to coat.
- Baking Pan – Press the mixture in a baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure it is evenly pressed into pan.
- Mixing Ingredients – Make sure to evenly coat the mixture with the melted chocolate. Add the marshmallows and stir with the other ingredients until completely melted.
- Thinner Treats – You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love thick rice krispie treats.
- Use Fresh Ingredients – When making these treats always use fresh marshmallows and cereal. The treats will taste better and last a lot longer.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Cocoa Krispies Cereal Treat – Use cocoa krispie cereal to add even more chocolate flavor.
- Mini Marshmallows – We used mini marshmallows in this cereal treat, but feel free to use any size of marshmallows.
- Sea Salt – Top the treat with sea salt for add flavor.
- Different shapes – Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes.
- Sprinkles – Add sprinkles to this treats for a fun and festive look.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Chocolate chips is the perfect addition to these treats. But you can also add in peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
- Drizzle Chocolate – Melt some of the chocolate chips and drizzle chocolate over the top of the rice krispie treats. Get creative and melt white chocolate as well. You can also drizzle candy melts over the top since they have so many fun colors.
- Peanut Butter – While you are melting the butter and marshmallows, add some peanut butter for added flavor.
How to Store:
Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious.
Can you Freeze?
I do not recommend freezing this recipe. It will change the texture of the final product and cause it to harden. See Can You Freeze Rice Krispie Treats for more information.
Why do my Rice Krispie Bars get Hard?
When melting the butter and marshmallows, we recommend melting the marshmallow mixture slowly in the microwave. Heating this gooey marshmallows to long in the microwave without stirring in-between can cause the mixture to get hard.
Print Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe:
Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter, marshmallows, chocolate chips and cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl. I microwaved it in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until it is thoroughly melted.
- Gradually add in the rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely coated.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- *You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love thick rice krispie treats!
- *Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
- Slice and enjoy! Yummy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe