We are going to show you how to make best rice krispie treats that are so delicious you won’t ever buy store bought again. This dessert is super easy to make and very frugal. Let the kids help and watch these disappear.
Rice Krispy Treats make such a classic treat. As a busy mom, I can make this quickly for a snack. I even make variations such as Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats and Snickerdoodle Rice Krispie Treats. The options are endless for this no bake recipe.
Table of contents
Why we love this recipe
The recipe is budget friendly to make and so delicious. Anyone can make a large pan of these without much work. The gooey marshmallow combined with crispy cereal make a luscious dessert. Each bite is soft and chewy.
- Rice Krispie Cereal
Get the complete recipe list at the bottom of the page.
The possibilities are endless for these delicious little treats. You can easily modify these for seasonal treats, holidays, birthdays and more.
We have even made them in team colors for our favorite sports team. Get creative with these delicious treats.
- Add sprinkles to the top- holiday, birthday or anything you like.
- Make the treats in different colors. This would be fun for baby showers, birthdays and so much more.
- Use cocoa krispies to make a fun and tasty chocolate treat.
- You can try using different colored marshmallows to jazz things up.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture. Yum!
- Try peanut butter morsels.
- Drizzle chocolate on top.
There are so many great ideas!
How to make Rice Krispie Treats
- Step 1. Prepare the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Step 3. Add the marshmallows and stir with the melted butter.
Step 4. Heat and stir the mixture until completely melted.
Step 5. Next, remove from the heat and gradually add in the cereal.
Step 6. Mix until completely coated in the marshmallow mixture.
Step 7. Finally, spread the cereal and marshmallow mixture evenly into the prepared pan. I like to use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture.
Step 8. Allow to cool and cut into squares.
Step 9. Serve and enjoy.
Make sure to cook this over low heat. Increasing the heat will result in hard or tough treats that will not be soft like desired.
It could also be if you are pressing too hard when evenly spreading out the treats. Gently pressing the cereal mixture will help keep the treats soft.
Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
If you store the rice krispie treats in a container , they will last about 3-4 days. Ours never last that long though because we eat them so fast. Also, use wax paper in between the treats to keep them from sticking.
These Rice Krispie treats are not gluten free. Rice Krispie Cereal contains malt flavor according to their ingredients. Malt flavor contains barley, which is part of a grain which contains gluten.
However, you can purchase crispy rice cereal that is gluten free.
We do not recommend freezing these treats. They are best served fresh. See Can You Freeze Rice Krispie Treats for more information.
Yes, just make sure to use a microwave safe bowl when heating the butter and marshmallows. This usually takes about 3 minutes but can vary based on your microwave.
Tips for Success
- Parchment Paper – To easily lift treats out of the pan, use parchment paper.
- Use Fresh Ingredients – When making these treats always use fresh marshmallows and cereal. The treats will taste better and last a lot longer.
- Add Extra Marshmallows – We love adding in extra cups of mini marshmallows. In fact, adding in a cup of marshmallows when you are mixing the treats together gives it more of a marshmallow taste.
- Vanilla Extract – Adding vanilla extract adds so much flavor to these treats
- Gently Press into Pan – Make sure to use your hands or spatula to press into pan so the treats remain soft.
More Rice Krispie treats to try
- Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
- Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
Make homemade rice krispie treats today. Please leave a star recipe rating once you do.
How to make Rice Krispie treats
- 12 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- (2) 10 ounce package of Marshmallows
- Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter on low heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and gradually add in the rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely coated.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- *You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love thick rice krispie treats!
- *Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe