We are going to show you how to make rice krispie treats that are so delicious you won’t ever buy store bought again. This dessert is super easy to make and very frugal. Let the kids help and watch these disappear.
How to make rice krispie treats
Do you make rice krispie treats for the kiddos or do you buy the prepackaged lunch box snacks? You can make these at home for a fraction of the cost and they taste much better.
In fact, you can divide these up and put them in individual bags. This makes it so easy to toss into lunch boxes, snacks on the go and more.
You might want to make a double batch. 🙂 One for home for snacks and one to pre-portion for snacks later. Our family goes crazy over these and if I turn my back, a few will go missing. I learned early on to just double the batch!
How to make rice crispy treats:
I love to take a pan of rice krispy treats to a friend or neighbor. I use the disposable pans and they don’t have to worry about returning the dish.
Plus, it helps with clean up on those busy nights. This dish is also perfect to take to potluck dinners when you need to bring a dessert or to someone recovering from surgery or with a new baby.
Sometimes I think we complicate things and think we need to bring fancy recipes when really we all just love simple. I don’t know anyone that doesn’t love rice kripsy treats.
It is such a classic dessert and snack.
How do you make rice crispy treats from scratch?
You will not believe just how easy it is. With just a few very simple ingredients, you can make these at home.
It is so easy that the kids can help. You only need 3 ingredients!
Rice krispie treats ingredients
- Rice Krispie Cereal
How to make rice krispie treats:
First, spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
Next, melt the butter on low heat in a large saucepan.
Now it is time to add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
Remove from heat and gradually add in the rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely coated.
Spread evenly in prepared pan.
Allow to cool completely before serving.
How to make rice krispies that are thinner:
You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love to make the treats thick but you do what you prefer.
Do Rice Crispy Treats have to be refrigerated?
Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
Why are my Rice Krispie treats hard?
Make sure to cook this over low heat. Increasing the heat will result in hard or tough treats that will not be soft like desired.
How long do Rice Krispie Treats last?
Rice krispie treats variations:
Oh the possibilities are endless for these delicious little treats. You can easily modify these for seasonal treats, holidays, birthdays and more.
We have even made them in team colors for our favorite sports team. Get creative with these delicious treats.
- Add sprinkles to the top- holiday, birthday or anything you like.
- Make the treats in different colors. This would be fun for baby showers, birthdays and so much more.
- Use cocoa krispies to make a fun and tasty chocolate treat.
- You can try using different colored marshmallows to jazz things up.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture. Yum!
- Try peanut butter morsels.
- Drizzle chocolate on top.
There are so many great ideas!
Now you know how to make rice crispy treats with marshmallows!
These are so easy and we make them frequently. Give them and try but be prepared for them to disappear.
Can you make rice krispie treats microwave version?
Yes, just make sure to use a microwave safe bowl when heating the butter and marshmallows. This usually takes about 3 minutes but can vary based on your microwave.
Now you know how to make the best rice krispie treats!
Print the best rice krispie treats recipe below:
We are going to show you how to make rice krispie treats that are so delicious you won't ever buy store bought again. This treat is super easy to make.
- 12 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- (2) 10 ounce package of Marshmallows
- Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter on low heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and gradually add in the rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely coated.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- *You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love thick rice krispie treats!
- *Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
Try more delicious dessert ideas here:
- Homemade Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Microwave Fudge Recipe
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 3 Ingredient Snicker Apple Salad Recipe
- Easy Red Velvet Cookies
- Quick and Easy Rolo Pretzels
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Quick and Easy Cake Ball Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Oreo Magic Bars Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- 4th of July Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats