Green Velvet Cake is super easy to make from scratch. It is so delicious with decadent cream cheese frosting. The entire cake is stunning and simply amazing.
Green Velvet Cake
Whether you need a festive treat for St. Patrick’s Day or just because, this Green Velvet cake does not disappoint.
The layers are so pretty and once cut you can see the creamy icing inside. It really is a gorgeous cake. This recipe is so simple and the results are fabulous.
Everyone will love this moist and tasty cake recipe. If you have been wanting to make a homemade cake, this is an easy one to try. You will love how simple the directions are. You might also like Green Velvet Cupcakes Recipe.
What is green velvet cake made of?
Everything you love about a traditional red velvet cake is in a green velvet cake. The only difference is the food coloring. We are using green gel food coloring instead of red.
The remaining cake ingredients all consist of cake flour, cocoa powder for that fabulous flavor we all love, butter, eggs and other typical baking ingredients.
It is super easy and the ingredients are very common.
For the Cake:
- Cake Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Butter, softened at room temperature
- Granulated Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Green Gel Food Coloring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
- Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Vanilla Extract
- Green Sprinkles
How to make Green Velvet Cake:
- First, preheat the oven. It needs to be at 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the pans with flour. This recipe calls for two 9″ cake pans. You will need to grease and flour them.
You can use non stick cooking spray if you prefer. However, I prefer to flour the pans instead because the cakes come out easier after they are baked.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt, and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar. Get out a separate bowl and use either a stand up or hand held mixer. Combine the ½ cups butter and sugar until they are mixed together good. It will take about a minute.
- Add the oil, egg yolks (save the egg whites) and vanilla extract. Then mix these ingredients until they are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape the edge of the bowl.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk . Mix until both are well combined into the wet ingredients.
Now the fun part.
- Add the green food coloring. Continue to add this until the batter is the color of green that you prefer for the cake. I like for the cake to be a deep green color. but you can adjust to how you prefer the green.
It is so fun to see the batter turn green. The kids love to help with this.
- Get out a separate mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites with a hand held mixer. Continue to mix until they are light and fluffy. You should see the mixture start to form peaks.
- Add the egg whites to the batter. Very gently stir in the egg whites into the batter. Make sure to do this by hand. Don’t overmix and only stir until just combined.
- Finally, pour the cake batter into the pans. Try to divide the batter as evenly as possible. Then bake for 30 to 33 minute or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- Let the cakes cool. The cakes need to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before you remove them. Then take the cakes out of the pans and move to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to make frosting:
- Start by beating the cream cheese. You will need a large mixing bowl and can use either a stand mixer or hand held. Beat until the cream cheese is smooth.
- Next, add the butter. Beat the butter until combined with the cream cheese and smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar. Gradually do this by adding 1 cup at a time. After you add each cup, mix until combined. Keep adding the powdered sugar until the frosting is thick and smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. The last step is to add the vanilla and mix until combined.
How to assemble the cake:
- Make sure each cake is even. You can use a serrated knife to trim the cake layers. This will ensure each one is level.
- Get out your cake stand or platter. Put one of the cakes on it and spread a layer of the cream cheese frosting on top.
- Add the next cake layer. Top with the second cake and add frosting to the top.
- Frost the sides. Finally, frost the sides of the cake and decorate the top. Add the green sprinkles for a festive touch.
HOW TO STORE GREEN VELVET CAKE:
Store the cake inside an airtight container. Place in the fridge up to 5 days.
You will love this Green Velvet Cake recipe.
The green is so bright and vibrant. The cream cheese frosting really is a gorgeous contrast against the green layers.
Each bite is so delicious and the recipe is easy to make. This cake is an all around great dessert.
While the green is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, you can easily use any color you want year round. The cake will still taste the same.
This recipe is versatile and sure to impress.
Print this Easy Green Velvet Cake recipe:
Green Velvet Cake
- For the Cake:
- 3 Cups Cake Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter softened at room temperature
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 8- oz packages of Cream Cheese softened at room temperature
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened at room temperature
- 10-12 cups Powdered Sugar sifted
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Green Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 9-in cake pans. I prefer to flour the pans instead of a non-stick cooking spray as the cakes come out easier once they are cooked.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt together in a mixing bowl.In a separate bowl, using either a stand up or hand held mixer, combine the butter and sugar until thoroughly mixed together (approximately 1 minute).
- Then add in the oil, egg yolks (save the egg whites) and vanilla extract.
- Mix until these ingredients are combined and use a spatula to scrape the edge of the bowl as well.
- Then slowly add in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk until both are thoroughly combined into the wet ingredients.
- Then add approximately 2 tsp of green gel food coloring until the batter is the color that you desire for your cake. I like for the cake to be a deep green color.
- Next in a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand held mixer until they are light and fluffy and form peaks.
- Gently stir in by hand the eggs white into the green batter until they are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and bake for 30-33 minute until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes and then remove the cake from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add in the butter and beat until combined and smooth.
- Then slowly add in the powdered sugar (1 cup at a time). Mix after each cup is added. Continue to add until the frosting is thick and smooth. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
- To Assemble the Cake:
- Use a serrated knife to trim the cake layers to make sure that both of the cakes are leveled.
- Place one of the cakes on a large plate or cake stand.
- Spread a layer of the cream cheese frosting on top of this cake. Then top with the 2nd cake and frosting the top of this cake as well. Then frosting the sides of the cake and decorate the top as desired.
- Top with the green sprinkles and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More St Patrick’s day desserts:
- St Patrick’s Day Chocolate covered Oreos
- Easy Rainbow Cookies
- St Patrick’s day cake mix cookie
- Delicious St Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow