Peanut butter fans will love this recipe for Peanut butter rice krispie treats. This no bake 4 ingredient treat is gooey and delicious!
This simple recipe for Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats turns classic rice krispie treats into an amazing snack or dessert. It is the best dessert if you love peanut butter.
The ideas are endless for rice krispy treats and it’s so much fun to try new flavors. Chocolate Coated Krispy Treats and Cinnamon Roll Rice Krispy Treats are some of our favorites we have been making for years.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works:
- The entire recipe only has 4 simple ingredients!
- Lots of peanut butter flavor.
- The recipe is no bake and simple.
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Mini Marshmallows
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Butter. Unsalted or Salted butter will work for this recipe.
- Marshmallows. I prefer using the mini marshmallows as they melt easier but large marshmallows will work fine too.
- Thinner Texture. You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. However, we prefer thick rice krispie treats.
- Chocolate Chips. You can also add ½ cup chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. Butterscotch Chips also taste great.
- Peanut Butter. We prefer creamy peanut butter but you can also use natural or crunchy peanut butter. You can use Jif, Skippy or your favorite brand.
- Nut Butter. These treats can also be made with almond butter, sunflower seed butter, cashew butter or cookie butter instead of the peanut butter.
- Vanilla Extract. Try adding in 1 tsp of vanilla extract for a slight sweeter flavor.
- Flaky Sea Salt. Sprinkle sea salt on top of the bars.
- Melted Chocolate. Drizzle melted chocolate on top.
- Toppings. Crushed cookies can be sprinkled on top.
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Prepare the pan with cooking spray. Then melt the butter, marshmallows and peanut butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Honey or maple syrup can be added if desired. Heat it in 30 second increments and stir until smooth between each one.
Step 2. Next, stir in the crispy rice cereal until completely coated.
Step 3. Once combined, spread the mixture in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Use a piece of wax to press the Rice Krispies into the bottom of the pan. I spray the wax paper with a non-stick spray so that it doesn’t stick to the wax paper.
Step 4. Allow to cool completely before serving. Slice, serve and enjoy.
Tips for Success
- Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that they remain gooey and delicious!
- After a few days, I microwave the Rice Krispie treat for 5-10 seconds to soften it.
- This mixture is very sticky and will stick to the spoon. Sometimes, I spray my hands with non-stick cooking spray and do the final mixing of the batter with my hands.
- Make sure to use cooking spray in your pan or line it with wax paper so it is easier to get the rice krispie treats out of the pan.
- Make sure to pack down the mixture when adding it to the pan to ensure that they stick together.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, these can easily be made on a stove top as well. Heat the butter, peanut butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan or large pot over low heat.
Stir and heat until completely melted and smooth. Then remove from heat, stir in the Rice Krispie cereal until well coated and press the mixture into a pan.
Make sure that you melt the peanut butter mixture over low heat and do not over cook. Increasing the heat will result in hard or tough treats that will not be soft like desired.
Also, putting these treats in the refrigerator can cause them to dry out and become too hard, so I recommend storing these treats at room temperature.
Generally, I make these treat with name brand rice krispie cereal but the off brand would work great too. I also think that this recipe would be delicious made with Cocoa Krispies.
Yes, you can easily freezer peanut butter rice krispie treats. Place them in a freezer bag with parchment paper or wax paper between each treat to keep them from sticking together.
When you are ready to enjoy them, defrost them out overnight in the refrigerator.
Try these other rice krispie treat recipes:
- Neapolitan Rice Krispie Treats
- Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
Make these Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats for a luscious treat. After you do, please come back and leave a comment!
Peanut butter rice krispie treats
- 12 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- (2) 10 oz. package of Marshmallows
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter, marshmallows and peanut butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat it in 30 second increments and stir between each one until fully meted.
- Once it’s melted, mix in the Rice Krispie cereal until completely coated.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Use a piece of wax to press the Rice Krispies into the bottom of the pan. I spray the wax paper with a non-stick spray so that it doesn’t stick to the wax paper.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Slice, serve and enjoy!
- *You can make half of this batch for thinner rice krispie treats. We love thick rice krispie treats!
- *Do not store in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that the remain gooey and delicious!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe