This Christmas Crack Recipe is delicious and addicting. There is a reason that this popular Christmas treat is called Christmas Crack. It’s hard to just eat one piece and I know you’ll love this recipe.
This recipe for Christmas Crack is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The toffee mixture is rich and decadent paired with the chocolate.
You only need 5 ingredients to create this saltine cracker toffee. I love easy recipes, and this is definitely one of my favorites. You might also like to try Grinch Brownies and Christmas Rice Krispie Treats.
Table of Contents
What is Christmas Crack Candy?
The name of this recipe might be causing you to wonder exactly what this is. This Christmas crack candy is a saltine toffee recipe that is the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
I make it every Christmas for my family to enjoy and to give as gifts to friends. It is similar to Ritz Cracker Toffee Recipe but with saltines. If you love sweet and salty, this Crock Pot Christmas Candy Recipe is another family favorite for Christmas desserts.
- Saltine Crackers
- Brown Sugar
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Christmas Sprinkles
Jump to the recipe card at the bottom for the complete ingredient list and instructions.
Substitutions and Additions
- Change the Crackers – Instead of saltine crackers, you can use Club Crackers, Ritz crackers or graham crackers. Either of these would be great options for this crack recipe.
- Add Nuts – Instead of sprinkles, top with chopped pecans or any of your favorite nut. It would also be good topped with Peanut Butter.
- Change Chocolate – Instead of using chocolate chips, consider white chocolate. You can also use dark Chocolate or milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Drizzle syrups – Drizzle Caramel and Sea salt for another delicious treat.
- Toffee Bits – Add toffee bits on top instead of sprinkles.
- Decorate each half differently – You could also do half of the pan. Do one half as one flavor and do the other half as a different flavor. For example, you could use sprinkles on one side and chopped nuts on the other.
- Candy Canes. Sprinkles crushed candy canes on top of the melted chocolate chips.
How to Make Christmas Crack:
Step 1. Prepare the baking sheet by lining with foil or parchment paper and spraying with cooking spray. Then place the crackers on the bottom of the pan. You don’t have to worry about them being perfectly lined up. The crackers will be broken up at the end of the recipe.
Step 2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan using low-medium heat.
Step 3. Add the brown sugar once the butter is completely melted. Stir to combine the butter and brown sugar thoroughly.
Step 4. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for approximately 3 minutes. Watch this mixture closely and only boil for 3 minutes so that it doesn’t burn. You can use a candy thermometer if you prefer, but I just watch the chocolate closely.
Step 5. Then immediately remove from heat and pour the bubbly mixture over the crackers.
Step 6. Spread it out covering the crackers completely. You can use a spatula to spread it out if needed. Next place the pan in the oven for 4-5 minutes until the edges of the brown sugar mixture gets bubbly.
Step 7. Remove the pan from the oven. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
Step 8. Allow the crackers to sit for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate. Do not put it back in the oven. The heat from the mixture will melt the chocolate perfectly.
Step 9. Then use a spatula to spread the chocolate over the cracker layer evenly.
Step 10. Finally sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles over the melted chocolate to give the saltine cracker toffee a festive look for the holidays.
Step 11. Then place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the toffee to harden. This should take approximately 30 minutes to one hour.
Step 12. After this time, remove the toffee from the pan and break it apart. Don’t worry about the pieces being perfect or the same size. I enjoy creating a variety of sizes.
- The crackers should touch. Make sure to arrange the cracker as closely as possible to each other. This will prevent the toffee from seeping through making it hard to crack.
- Boil the butter and brown sugar long enough. If it is not cooked long enough, the toffee will be soft and not harden.
- Line the pain with foil. It is so important to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to make clean up easy.
When the Christmas Crack is chewy it is normal. This makes the perfect Christmas Crack when it is a soft. Make sure that the brown sugar mixture is heated and melted. We recommend letting the brown sugar to boil for at least 5 minutes.
Generally, I store this Christmas crack candy in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a week. If it’s warmer where you live, store in the refrigerator to keep the chocolate from melting.
However, when I make this recipe, it generally doesn’t last an entire week. It’s called Christmas Crack for a reason!
Try these Christmas Desserts:
- Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
- Ritz Cracker Toffee Recipe
- Christmas Bark Recipe
- How to Make Christmas Tree Brownies
- Adorable Reindeer Cookies
- Easy Red Velvet Cookies
- Christmas Crack Chex Mix Recipe
Make this recipe today for a delicious treat. Please leave a star recipe rating once you do.
- 40 Saltine Crackers just over a sleeve
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 11.5 oz package Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Christmas Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill the bottom of the cookie sheet with crackers. Set the pan aside.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter over low-medium heat. Add brown sugar once butter is completely melted and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour bubbly mixture over crackers covering the crackers completely.
- Place pan in the oven for 4-5 minutes, or just until edges of brown sugar mixture gets bubbly.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the crackers.
- Allow the crackers to sit for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate. Then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the cracker layer evenly.
- Sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles over the melted chocolate (optional).
- Place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the toffee to harden.
- Then remove the toffee from the pan and break it apart. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe