Reindeer Chow is the perfect snack for Christmas Season. The salty sweet combination is delicious and makes the best treat. Let the kids help make this easy recipe.
Skip the cookies and leave Santa this delicious Reindeer Chow. Each bite has the best combination of peanut butter, chocolate, candy and more. Oh and the powdered sugar on top just makes it all so delicious. This recipe for reindeer mix is a must try.
If you love making muddy buddies, then check out all our Best Puppy Chow Recipes. Puppy chow is a staple holiday snack every year and we love the many different ways you can make it.
If you are planning a holiday party, make a big bowl of this to set out. It is loaded with chocolate flavor and the perfect sweet and salty snack. This Reindeer Chex mix is also perfect to give as gifts along with Nutter Butter Reindeer.
Table of Contents
What is Reindeer Chow?
This Reindeer Mix Recipe is an addicting snack that is loaded with flavor. It is chocolate muddy buddies that are mixed with holiday M&M’s, peanut butter cups, and pretzels. This combination makes the perfect sweet and salty snack.
This is the ultimate fun and festive Christmas snack. We love to make holiday desserts every year and hand out to our neighbors. This reindeer chow mix is always included. It is easy to eat and serve.
Reindeer Chow Ingredients:
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Chex Cereal
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Peanut Butter Cups
- Christmas M&Ms
Find the complete ingredient list at the bottom of the recipe card.
Variations to reindeer chow recipe:
- Sprinkles – Add Christmas sprinkles to the reindeer chow. So fun and the kids will love to help. This adds an extra festive touch with the chocolate M&M’s.
- Use for different Holidays – You can use different colors for other holidays. We also make Easter Puppy Chow and Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow Recipe .
- Chex Cereal – We used Rice Chex but you can substitute Corn Chex, Crispix cereal, Chocolate Chex or Cinnamon Chex.
- Add in Nuts – Another fun idea to add is nuts. We love the crunch and the texture it gives to the mix.
- Candy – Use different candy or whatever you have on hand. I like to buy my Christmas candy when it comes out in the store.
- Powdered Sugar – You can even try puppy chow without powdered sugar
- Chocolate – Change the chocolate to white chocolate for yummy variation.
How to Make Reindeer Chow:
- Add Chocolate and Peanut Butter to bowl – In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Melt in microwave – Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the chocolate is melted through and stir to thoroughly combine it with the peanut butter. Make sure chocolate is completely melted.
- Add cereal to large bowl – Place the Chex cereal in a larger bowl.
- Mix chocolate and cereal together – Pour the melted chocolate combination over the Chex cereal
- Coat Completely – Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Shake Powdered Sugar and Cocoa Powder – Then pour the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a gallon ziplock bag. Shake to thoroughly combine these ingredients.
- Pour Cereal Mixture into Powdered Sugar Mixture – Pour the chocolate covered Chex cereal in the ziplock bag.
- Seal and Shake – Seal the bag and shake to coat the Chex in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Cool Completely – Allow to cool completely on a baking sheet.
- Stir in candy and pretzels – Mix in the peanut butter cups, Christmas M&Ms and pretzel twists.
- Serve and Enjoy – Store In an air tight container and enjoy!
- Baking Sheet – Make sure you have a good baking sheet. We like to use a big baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper. This will help with cleanup and make it much easier.
- Zip Lock Bags – You will also need gallon size ziplock bags to mix the ingredients in. This will help container the powdered sugar in the muddy buddies and not make such a mess.
- Double the recipe – This treat is super easy to double if you plan to host a crowd or hand this out to friends. Just make sure you have a really large bowl.
- Peanut Butter – It is best to skip the all natural peanut butter in this recipe. The processed variety works best. We prefer Peter Pan or Jiff.
- Candy – If you are unable to locate the Christmas M&M’s, you can use other colors of M&M’s.
- Allow to cool – Ensure the cereal mix has properly cooled before storing in containers.
Yes, both of these refer to the same great recipe. Puppy Chow is the original name for this recipe that started in the Midwest.
Later, Chex Cereal realized how much everyone loved the idea. They started putting the recipe on the back of the boxes of cereal. They called the recipe Muddy Buddies.
Since that time, this treat has commonly been referred to as either Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies.
Puppy Chow is an easy recipe to make in advance. We do this frequently for parties and it really helps with preparation.
This snack mix can easily be made up to 5 days in advance. Just make sure to keep it stored inside an airtight container.
Storing Reindeer Chow is easy at room temperature. We have a holiday jar that I set out every year and make sure it is always filled with puppy chow.
This puppy chow recipe doesn’t need to be refrigerated so it is perfect setting on your counter. It will stay fresh for up to a week if stored in an airtight container.
If stored properly, this reindeer chow will last about a week at room temperature.
More Holiday Treats:
- Copycat Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes Recipe
- Crock Pot Christmas Candy Recipe
- Easy Christmas Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
Make this Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe for a great treat. Then please come back and leave a comment.
- In a microwave safe bowl – combine chocolate and peanut butter.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue doing this until the chocolate is melted through and stir to thoroughly combine it with the peanut butter.
- Place the Chex cereal in a larger bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate combination over the Chex cereal
- Use a spatula to fold the cereal to coat it completely in the chocolate.
- Then pour the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a gallon ziplock bag. Shake to thoroughly combine these ingredients.
- Pour the chocolate covered Chex cereal in the ziplock bag.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat the Chex in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Allow to cool completely on a bake sheet.
- Mix in the peanut butter cups, M&Ms and pretzel twists. Store In an air tight container and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe